Toad in the Hole is an old classic which nearly everyone I know enjoys, after all it is basically sausage and Yorkshire Pudding, so what is there not to love. Although great on its own you can serve it a side, we usually like to have it with mash and peas or corn. I'm going to you how to make Toad in the Hole.
To create this recipe for two people, you will need:
- Tablespoon of oil
- 100ml milk
- 70g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 4 – 6 sausages (The sausages can be any that you feel like, we like spicy food so if we have managed to find some reduced or as a little treat we enjoy having sausages with strong flavours like peri-peri or chilli, but any sausage can be used.)
- Sides of your choice – mash, peas, vegetables etc.
To make the recipe for your family of 4 then double the amounts.
- First thing you should do it prepare a casserole dish by putting oil in the base and if you feel the need to brush it on the sides as well. Then place it in the oven at 180-200 degrees.
- Whilst the oil is heating measure 100ml of milk into a measuring jug, weigh out 70g of plain flour and pour into the jug, then crack two eggs into the jug and start whisking it away. (It is optional to start singing, dancing or making the ingredients talk during the process)
- When the mixture is smooth and has no lumps of flour then remove the casserole dish and pour the mixture into the dish and add the sausages (no need to cook them before hand, though defrost if necessary). You can even let the artist in you take over and have them in patterns.
- Place the casserole dish back into oven for 40 minutes or until nicely risen and brown on top.
- Whilst the Toad cooks place a pan on the hob, fill and boil a kettle before pouring it in the pan (remove pan from hob otherwise the boiling water starts jumping about), and add a couple of peeled and chopped potatoes.
When the Toad is ready, turn the oven off, put your plates in the oven (keeps the food warmer longer when served on warm plates).
- If you have a microwaveable bowl pour some water in and your peas or corn and put in microwave for 1 minute on full power. Just before serving put it again for another minute.
- Drain your potatoes and mash them, either via mixer or the old fashioned masher. For smooth mashed potatoes add milk and butter, for extra flavour add cheese.
- Cut up Toad, serve with sides and enjoy.
What do you serve your Toad with?