This post may contain affiliate links.
Last week I introduced you our store cupboard challenge, and I'm keen to tell you how we've done. Week one is over and we have done quite well going through the cupboards and sticking to our budget.
We spent £18 out of our £20 budget, which was mainly perishables such as fruit and vegetables. A few weeks ago we had stopped shopping at Aldi due to having some issues with them, however due to the prices of fruit and veg in other main supermarkets we shall be returning to Aldi for our greens once again.
These are the evening meals we have eaten since Saturday 17th Oct:
- Gammon, homemade chips, peas & flat egg
- Roast Chicken with Yorkshire Puddings, roast potatoes & carrots
- Leftover Chicken & Vegetable Crumble
- Pasta & Dough-balls (unfortunately the dough-balls was a tragic mistake on my part as they were meant to be meatballs but I did crumble mix instead of breadcrumbs……….)
- Pork cooked in local apple juice, peas, carrots & sweet potato mash
- Meatballs & Pasta with homemade pasta sauce
- Takeaway with wife & father-in-law (his treat haha free meal)
The first week was a little challenging as I had a few mystery shops to do and of course going through the stores everything was tempting me, especially the sweets. I stayed strong though and resisted them. Meal wise we had a number of our tried and tested meals but we tried a new recipe with our leftover chicken & vegetable crumble, which was amazing. I am like a child when it comes to vegetables (refusing to eat them) and the plate was clear, enjoying every mouthful. The dough-balls was a complete mistake, I had crumble on the brain evidently and made crumble mix instead of doing breadcrumbs which ruined the meatballs. My wife wasn't very happy with me, so we ended up eating the pasta and I tried making meatballs a few nights later – this time they worked! Who knew breadcrumbs were made from actual bread?!
I shall be creating a recipe for the Chicken & Vegetable Crumble soon.
What has been your worst cooking mistake? Or most challenging store cupboard challenge? Please comment and tell me.